Alm. HM. Suharto is Improper to become a National Hero:
The Cronies Should Be Responsible Before the Law
Political promise of Presidential Candidate Prabowo Subianto and Vice President Hatta Rajasa to give national hero title to Alm. HM. Suharto, if they were elected, is harassment and flagrant violation of the 1945 Constitution, which guarantees state protection, respect and fulfillment of human rights, and the rule of law to every citizen.
In addition, based on the Indonesian Consultative Assembly [MPR] decree No. XI/MPR/1998 on combating corruption firmly against anyone, whether government officials, former government officials, family, cronies, and private parties or conglomerate including President Suharto.
We noted, for 32 years of ruling Republic of Indonesia, Alm. HM. Suharto was responsible for various human rights violations and corruption:Violations of Civil and Political Rights:Mass murder of people who "allegedly" communist (1965-1966)
- Tanjung Priok (1984)
- Mysterious Shooting (PETRUS) (1981-1984)
- Talangsari, Lampung (1989)
- Marsinah labor activist murder case (1993)
- Banning of Print Media (1994)
- Attack in PDI headquarters, July 27, 1996
- Kidnapping of pro-democracy activists (February-March 1998)
- Trisakti Tragedy (May 12, 1998]
- Riots in May '98 (May 13-15, 1998)
- Timika case (May 1998)
- Military Operation Area (DOM) in Aceh (1989-1998)
- Military Operation (DOM) in Papua (Irian Jaya) 1969-1998
- The murder of journalist Fuad Muhammad Syafruddin/Udin (1996)
- Massacre case in Haur Koneng Majalengka (1993)
- Prohibition of establishment of Organization (Normalization of Campus Life/Student Coordinating Board) (1974-1975)
- Suppression of civil society organizations with the Law. 5 Year 1985 on Community Organizations
- The shooting of citizens in the construction of Nipah Madura reservoir (1993)
Violations of Economic, Social and Cultural Rights:
- Land grabbing in Kedung Ombo (1985-1989)
- Land grabbing on behalf of PT. Plantation Nusantara (PTPN)
- Occupation of indigenous peoples’ territories in Dongi, South Sulawesi for Nickel company
- Deprivation and eviction of resident houses by PT. LonSum in Bulukumba
- Pollution and Violence case committed by Indorayon in Porsea, North Sumatra
- Combustion of houses, sexual assault committed by PT. Equal Mining Kelian in East Kalimantan
- Corruption regarding the use of state funds by 7 foundations headed by Suharto: Dana Sejahtera Mandiri Foundation, Supersemar Foundation, Dharma Bhakti Social Foundation (Dharmais), Karya Bhakti Endowment Fund Foundation (Dakab), Amal Bhakti Muslim Pancasila Foundation, Dana Gotong Royong Kemanusiaan Foundation, and TRIKORA Foundation. Overall, during the rule of Alm. HM. Soeharto, he’s allegedly have embezzled state funds amounting to 35 billion U.S. dollars.
The above list of crimes, can not be separated from the role of Alm. HM. Suharto’s cronies, who also committed crimes and enjoy the authoritarian and corrupted government. Cronies from the military, police, intelligence, cabinet, the closest, black businessmen, even family, who also committed crimes, enjoy the fruits of corruption crimes, remain to be responsible before the law.
We note that the government of Alm. HM Soeharto and his cronies have left an acute and systemic damage in this country. Damage occurs in mentality and performance of government in the context of corruption and violation of human rights; also turn off the creativity, independence and freedom of thought and expression of the community. Government of Alm. HM. Suharto inherited culture that tend to be "intolerant" both in religious and ethnic differences, and "permissiveness" in violence.
In the context of socio-political life, government of Alm. HM Soeharto was very intolerant to differences and criticisms that emerged from public. Without hesitate, using military to silence and suppress the differences that exist, where the government easily stigmatize communists, separatists, security intruder movement to undermine the authority of the Republic of Indonesia, without a fair trial.
For that, efforts or political promise to give ??Alm. HM. Suharto a national hero title is nothing more than a veiled attempt to perform bleaching or illegal amnesty to all forms of state crime that never happened.
We assert that the death of HM. Suharto in 2008, would only simply abort its legal obligations, but not the legal proceedings against human rights violations and grave human rights violations and corruption, especially those involving cronies. To that end, National Human Rights Commission and the Attorney General, should continue legal efforts in order to provide legal certainty for all.
Jakarta, June 12th 2014
Gerakan Melawan Lupa [Movement Against Forgotten]